Thursday 2 August 2012

“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” -

George Carlin


Here's something new, a totally sober posting. Well maybe not completely new, but refreshingly different, and now with fewer calories. The lack of alcohol will mean it's drier than usual (pun intended), or as I also like to put it, - complete tripe.

Billie is finally back from Florida, and despite spending three weeks in a most excellent shopping destination, she somehow "didn't have time" to get me a present...

Oh dear, never mind.

Salt in the wound - she sent me a picture of all her purchases, neatly arranged in her room, that haul could clothe a small army , albeit a very small one.

I went to see "The Dark Knight Rises" last week, on what passes for an IMAX screen in these parts (Actually the quality was pretty good, pricey, but good). I enjoyed the film itself, although it must comes second to "The Dark Knight" for sheer entertainment and coherence.
It seemed a little joyless at the time, especially in the middle, but memory has revealed a richer experience. And personally I loved the ending, and I really don't think it's open to interpretation, à la "Inception".

(Billy and I watched "Batman Begins" last night, she thought it was "crap" - blimey!)

Work has become such a strain recently, physically, but especially mentally. And not just for me it seems - there's quite an undercurrent of stress to the whole darn place, we are simply being stretched too thinly. After all there is only so far you can spread butter before you have no butter at all.
I'm coming home so physically tired that I simply spend my days off sleeping and moping, and moping really takes it out of you, let me tell you. 

And don't get me started on money! Too late , it seems I've started! - No pay rise for three years, greatly increased pension contributions, and the simple rise in the cost of living - it effectively means I'm earning less each year.
I'm going to have to say goodbye to my international playboy lifestyle - goodbye!




“I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, 'Where's the self-help section?' She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.” 




No comments: