Wednesday 28 November 2012

“Ah,women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.”

- Friedrich Nietzche

Was there ever a Woman more beautiful on screen than Kim Novak, in 'Vertigo' ?
Probably not.

I watched Vertigo on blu-ray tonight. I've seen it many many times before of course (it's my favourite film) but this was the first time in true high definition. For 2 hours and 8 minutes, day to day problems melted completely away. Almost everything about it is perfect (and I only noticed Midge's car for the first time - my all time favourite too -  a Volkswagen Karmann Ghia !)

(I could, and would if prompted, spout forth for hours on the subject of this film)

The scenes where Scotty revisits anywhere and anything that has even the vaguest connection to Madelaine, resonated with me. It's one of my many neurotic traits. For example, even now I'll look around my house and say to myself something like 'Barbara once sat in that chair'.
I'm a loon (but not a loony).


I'm so incredibly tired tonight, every atom of me is crying out - get to bed! but for some reason my stoopid mind wants to finish typing this inconsequential nonsense. Work is increasingly stressful, both physically and mentally, plus my slow descent into craziness doesn't help, I imagine. 

Billie rang me at midnight on Saturday. She was almost incoherent. It transpires she was drunk and heartbroken. Whilst I know this is normal teenage behaviour, I was very upset that I was only invited to the metaphorical party 18 months after it had apparently begun. I know that's a bit childish, and I sort of understand her reasoning, but it was something of a , not totally unexpected, shock to me. I haven't explained that very well, partly to save her feelings , but mostly because it's nearly 3 am , and I'm totally knackered...





“You teach your daughters the diameters of the planets and wonder when you are done that they do not delight in your company” - Samuel Johnson


No comments: