Tuesday 14 July 2009

“After two days in hospital, I took a turn for the nurse.”
- W.C. Fields

Strange things are afoot at the circle K.
I've worked in the NHS for twenty years now and the changes although seemingly subtle at the time, have been monumental. They also, at least to a slight degree, parallel changes in society. When I started Nursing, the patients were polite, agreeable, respectful and actually did what you told them. Now Nurses do what the patients tell us, and patients (and especially their families) are fractious, surly, manipulative and spoiled (of course that is a total generalisation, and of course is thus mostly wrong). The victim society has spilled over into patientdom, and if an instant diagnosis, an array of hi-tech investigations (thanks House!) and usually large doses of opiates are not instantly forthcoming, it results in the very least abuse and demands to see a Matron, and at worst litigation. I as ever, try to smile on move on.
There are now so many rules, protocols and assessments for us to follow that we are more like robots than carers. I spend much of my day scrubbing commodes (plus most other surfaces) it was not how I pictured my middle age.
The management structure is a little like an inverted pyramid , at least to my cynical , jaded eyes. There are so many people telling 'us' what to do, that 'us is dwindling.
Yesterday I arrived at work to here the latest , that one of 'us' will be permanently moved from next week to another ward. Like some occupational sword of Damocles, it hangs over us, the only ' Friends ' I have are on that ward, I really don't want to go elsewhere (so like the typical human response, wish that misfortune on someone else!) - That's enough rambling for now.

Today I have been feeling very angry, something I rarely experience luckily.




“Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.” - Jonathan Swift

No comments: