Monday 16 November 2009

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.”
- Douglas Adams

“Between the optimist and the pessimist, the difference is droll.
The optimist sees the doughnut; the pessimist the
hole!” - Oscar Wilde

I'm going to try and be more upbeat. I'm going to try, I promise. It'll be interesting to look back on this and see what transpired (although I'm sure we both suspect that much like a dead apple tree, or a man with scurvy, it will be fruitless).

I've bought a swanky new phone, it's yet to arrive, but the array of gadgets (it's android not apple by the way) have me toying with the idea of twitter and facebook. Might I stress that's only toying, at this stage. To be honest the inevitable lack of feedback is the most off putting aspect, that and stumbling over someone that I don't want to be stumbling any where in the vicinity of - huh? In all honesty isn't facebook just enforced politeness, if someone from my past wanted to get in touch, wouldn't they have already? This is all very circular and ultimately pointless though.

Today I drank a bottle of wine, watched two films in a row (the coincidentally titled District 9 and District 13 Ultimatum) , and a slew of TV shows. then I contemplated loneliness (hang on a minute! upbeat remember!).
I've been re-watching 'Cosmos' on DVD for the first time since I was a teenager. It's such a humbling show that paradoxically makes me feel totally insignificant and optimistic at the same time. Also Carl Sagan was one of the most charming and enigmatic people ever on TV, I imagine in real life he was delightful to be around. I believe it would have been his 75th birthday last week.




“When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have” -Stephen Hawking









No comments: