Wednesday 21 November 2007

“Alcohol preserves everything except secrets”

Wednesday : post number 2

The cost of living, at least from my brief experience, seems a lot cheaper in Canada. One strange difference I noticed however is the cost of alcohol (off sales I mean, I have no idea how much alcohol costs in a pub/club in the UK). For some reason alcohol can only be purchased in dedicated liquor stores, which are not quite the same as our "off licenses" and seem to be mostly attached to pubs. The prices are significantly higher too, about 30-40% I'd say. It was strange going into a huge supermarket, but not seeing an alcohol aisle at all. However this one glitch doesn't cancel out the cheaper prices of services, food, electrical goods, cars, housing etc etc.
By the way don't let this cheery post fool you, I remain supremely grumpy and unhappy!

(Ironically I spilled a conciliatory alcoholic drink on my keyboard upon my return - now I only have occasional use of control, K, 0, and right shift , and f9 has ceased to function at all - ha!)


“No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.” - P.J. O'Rourke


No comments: