Monday 19 September 2011

“Bad is called good when worse happens”

- Norwegian Proverb

Having a constant headache finally drove me to action, a little one at least, namely an optician appointment on Wednesday.

My attempt to stay up really really late last night was scuppered, mostly by being at work for around 14 hours yesterday, combined with being an out of shape middle aged man, I woke up, somewhat bewildered, in front of the computer around 2.30am , and somehow managed to get myself to bed. 
Rather cruelly, I woke up at 8am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep.
So I'm sitting here, almost literally killing time until I go to work tonight, wide awake but also completely knackered.
I really can't explain my awful relationship (make up your own jokes) with night shift, and I'd like to. All I need to (apparently continually) say is I dread it, almost to the point of inaction (although casual observers would not notice any difference to my normal behaviour). I don't know how it started, it's enough that it did. The one good thing is, when it's over, I actually feel quite uplifted (but let's not get carried away, it's just a temporary aberration)

More importantly, I dreamt of Barbara again last night. You'd really think that I'd have stopped all that by now, wouldn't you? But for I haven't, make of that what you will.
It seems all my dreams are dominated by two overarching themes now , namely  'decay' and 'regret' , (potential Nine Inch Nails album title?). Where are all those fun dreams I used to have? eh? eh?

Time to iron a uniform...


“A man grows most tired while standing still.” - Chinese Proverb

No comments: