Saturday 24 May 2008

“I like men who have a future and women who have a past”
- Oscar Wilde

I was up and ready very early yesterday, not for any special reason, it's possibly just a phase. It was sunny, and a Friday so I went to a local market, at South Shields to be precise.
It's obviously a long time since I was there, as many of the familiar landmarks on route were gone (including an entire council estate!) and when I arrived the car park I used to use had been flattened and redeveloped. This Friday flea market used to be a regular trip out in years gone by, and the changes made me remember the quote from Bill Watterson :

“Know what's weird? Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon, everything's different.”

Suddenly you realise you are living in the future your past self used to dream about. It may not be quite as you pictured it (I, for one, am relieved food doesn't come in pill form and that we are, as a nation, not wearing one piece silver/geometric jumpsuits. However I was looking forward to a flying car, or at the very least a jetpack!!) but as Buckaroo Banzai famously said, "No matter where you go, there you are".



(one of my all time favourite TV themes)

“The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln



No comments: