Wednesday 30 September 2009

"When drink's in wit's oot."

“Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.” - Helen Keller

Getting into bed last night I had what can only be described as an olfactory hallucination. I swore I caught a hint of "5th Avenue", which is, of course, the perfume worn by Barbara. It wasn't really there of course and was very fleeting, but the emotional effects caused by the memory of smells always amazes me. In my opinion it is the most powerful of memory jerkers, so to speak. For a moment, she was in the room.

Earlier that day I'd opened a tin of Heinz custard (exciting stuff eh?). It looked a little 'odd' so I gave it a taste only to find it was actually full of rice pudding. I ate it anyway, of course (let's just say I haven't what you would describe as a well stocked larder!).
By the way, for future reference, I prefer custard cold.

Back to work tomorrow! I don't know why it is stressing me so, I'm sure an hour after getting there, all this lovely idleness will fade away and become a warm fuzzy memory.
(oh dear - I can't remember my computer password. For some reason we get a new one generated automatically every 12 weeks. Let's hope muscle memory kicks in).

Usually I'm to be found typing this junk in the early hours, more often than not slightly under the effects of alcohol (imagine). At the moment it's not even 6pm. My plans for this evening involve a bottle of wine, a nice hot bath, and some brainless action movie. Tonight I want to be entertained rather than challenged. No movie last night, House followed by the new season of Dexter. The sign of good entertainment is not noticing the passage of time. If you look at your watch more than once during a movie, it's no good! (for instance see my opinions on 'Revenge of the Fallen', I was practically glued to the clock, in fact it may have been slightly more entertaining than the movie!). Getting back to my so called point, Dexter seemed to be over in a moment. It is a remarkable show, with a 'hero' compelled to kill, but so incredibly likable. In 'Six Feet Under' Michael C Hall was irritating, but I realise that was good acting now! The fact it is actually made in Miami, rather than Los Angeles or more frequently Vancouver, really gives the show a different sensibility, I think it's the quality of light! Plus this seasons protagonist is the marvellous John Lithgow. I'm hooked after one episode! Anyway enough of TV, an evening of time wasting, wine and probably a bit of wistful introspection awaits.

Be seeing you...



(Bryan Ferry is technically a Mackem, like me, although I'm sure he would deny it!!! oh and by the way I love this song)


"When the hert's past hope the face is past shame."
- Scottish Proverb (they're still amusing me)



No comments: