Thursday 31 December 2009

“For last year's words belong to last year's language and next year's words await another voice.”
- TS Eliot

"You're travelling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!"



Bedtime, and technically it's now New Years Eve. I hate New Year; Christmas sadly leaves me cold, but New Year I actively dislike. I try make sure I'm working, so I don't have time to dwell.
Dwelling, regret, call it what you will, but that's how New Year makes me feel. Reviews of the year abound at this time, here's mine - boring, boring and deadly dull. While for the moment that isn't a problem, in the future, nearer than I probably think, I'll probably look back on this time and regret all the things I never did, heck I already am.
This year I have done diddly squat, I've been nowhere, and come back again. I went out twice, one was boring, the other a complete disaster. There hasn't been a night when I didn't sleep in my own bed, and apart from Billie I have had no social visitors. My life's not a disaster, just a wasted opportunity.


Why so extra maudlin? well apart from the time of year I watched the first six episodes of the Twilight Zone in a row tonight. Regret and reliving the past was a strong theme in at least two episodes, plus the whole show always gives me the (usually enjoyable) chills.



I'll feel better in the morning, I imagine (I just remembered I'm at work for six days in a row, so I may just feel worse!).

Happy New Year, whoever you are...





“Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.” - Bill Vaughn




No comments: