Thursday 7 August 2008

“However long the night, the dawn will break.”

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day
"

Well here it is! The day I dreaded (well the latest one at least - I seem to be regularly dreading something) - I start night shift in about three hours. I cannot adequately express how much I detest it, but it's a requirement (apparently).
It's not the staying up all night I dislike, by the way, I used to do that all the time when I had insomnia. No it's the way it dominates everything - sleep, food, work, sleep and so on, and so on.
I never know how to prepare for it, do I have a late night before and a lie in? or a nap before I go to work? Who knows, and frankly who cares. All I know is that I may as well switch off my conscious mind, and switch it back on next Friday morning. If only I could!

My Daughter rang me after getting back from her London trip last night. She said it was merely "okay" and she's in no hurry to return, much as I said about myself last week. At least she got to go as a child, I suppose, my Parents never went anywhere!

I'm off to shower, iron a uniform, pack a lunch (damn! - I forgot to buy anything) - and mope for an hour or two.





“Night brings our troubles to the light, rather than banishes them.” - Seneca



No comments: