Wednesday 17 January 2007

The British Invasion

Strange, it's still morning and here I am posting! ( but as I recently said in a gremlins related exchange - this could be considered really really late Tuesday). Actually getting back to that same conversation, do you think modern life is causing language to disappear? What? that was badly phrased. Texting, instant messaging, e-mail and so on, I know language must evolve , but maybe things are going a little too fast. I used to love write letters, the ritual of sitting down (with an actual pen!) composing a letter with words and sentences, and then having to physically go off and post the thing! Don't get me wrong, I'm not against change, and I embrace technology, but maybe things are a little too instant these days.
Remember the excitement at getting a written letter from a loved one? the delight of a valentines card with a hand written message? Maybe I'm just getting old. I worry , I worry about the erosion of language, the loss of vocabulary ( I'm all for new words from other cultures by the way) and the general dumbing down of youth.
I know I bang on about this, but the level of general knowledge is terrible today, I recently had a conversation about World War 2 , and my colleague wasn't even aware of the basics, even the where and when (you think there'd be a clue in the name!). And Franz Ferdinand is a Scottish band, not the trigger for The Great War ! - Dammit I'm in full grumpy old man mode now!

C U L8R ! ( where can I get some of those trousers?)

No comments: