Thursday 14 May 2009

“If the cock does not crow before sunset, it either will rain the next day, or the cock is dead.”
- Dutch Proverb

A quick note while my pizza is in the oven (I know, I know).

In between falling asleep and generally existing, I watched the Season 5 Finale of Lost today (I know how American, 'Season' indeed).

A few thoughts - overall I was disappointed, slightly. Previous cliffhangers left me confounded but ultimately entertained. This time I was bloody baffled! (don't get me wrong the show could have lasted twice as long and It wouldn't have seemed too long).

The main characters were slightly downgraded to almost pieces on a game board, with two seemingly omnipotent players guiding their movements. I really hope that the creators aren't going to pull a 'Battlestar Galactica' on us and tell us it was God all along!

The Geography of the island seems very fluid, in previous seasons the Remains of the Statue near the Others false camp, was all the bloody way round the other side of the island, now it's a couple of hours walk from the Losties Beach Camp.

I'm guessing the Ship at the start was The Black Rock, and Richard Alpert was on board. Locke, it transpires remained dead, no magical resurrection for him, the loophole reference in the last scene revealed it was Jacobs 19th Century companion incognito.

Worst of all - how could they Kill Juliet!!! She's been consistently one of my favourite characters, especially since the LeFleur storyline. Plus Elizabeth Mitchell is one of the few Actresses who actually looks better sans makeup. Wonder how the 'V' remake she left to star in will turn out?

Plus in other exciting news, I've finally begun watching my Mod Squad DVD (only season 1 was ever released on these shores, poor sales I imagine). I've never seen it before, but I must say it is most entertaining. By 21st century standards it is pretty tame, but in 67/68 it must have seemed pretty racy and daring. The first few episodes alone dealt with lsd, racism, Vietnam veterans, and the new youth culture. Strangely downbeat too. I especially like Lincs' philosophical outlook. Plus Peggy Lipton was gorgeous, but much much more so in Twin Peaks! (but if I was 20 that viewpoint would, I suspect, be reversed).

Anyway goodnight from a strangely upbeat and misery free post. I assure you normal service will be resumed. Be seeing you!



“Television is called a medium because anything good on it is rare” - Fred Allen



No comments: