Saturday 31 March 2007

"I close my eyes and count to ten"

Anyone that knows me - and rest assured there are some gentle reader, knows that I do not swear. Now don't go thinking I'm some holier than thou prude that puts his hands over his ears at the first sign of an "F" word. No I'm about as broad minded as it's possible to be (and modest too apparently). I was never exposed to "bad" language until I was really a teenager, and I just made the conscious decision that it wasn't for me. It's a bit snobbish now I suppose, I always tell my daughter that bad language is just for the low of vocabulary, and that it takes a lot more wit to insult than simply swear . Oh dear I'm sounding really snobby now, I don't mean it that way, if people want to swear so be it, it's just not for me. saying that if anyone ever hears me swear It is SO SO much more effective as they are not used to it from me, after all familiarity breeds contempt.

You may find this amusing, but I have only said the F word twice out loud ( although you may also find it rather pathetic!) Once in 1990! - when I was the drunkest that I have ever been , and ever want to be, amazingly despite my intoxication - the event is crystal clear - sad eh? The other was just a couple of years ago , and to be delicate, I said it to a wonderful young lady, because I wanted her to know just how attractive I found her (and still do) and since she knew my aversion to swearing I hope it carried some extra meaning (I put that really badly, I may have to edit that bit later - I didn't want to imply I would use that word as a compliment but in that unique circumstance, I suppose it was). You know when I started typing this it was going to be about something totally different, but it became rather "true confessions" there for a minute didn't it?

“The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it” - George Washington

(ps - I've got the rest of the story above and it all turns out alright for Betty - hurrah! - She ditches the man she loves because he was younger than her - those crazy sixties values eh? take as many drugs as you want , sleep with anybody, but heaven forbid your boyfriend is younger - but she sees the error of her ways! btw she also has a most excellent sculpted 60's "do" - so I'm obsessed, go sue me!)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish i had your restraint !

I dont swear at all at home...yet when full of drink, that pernicious word does have a tendency to infiltrate what i'm trying to say. I obviously feel the need for extra emphasis when drunk.

or maybe i'm just trying to prove that it is big and it is clever ...one day my emotions will reach past teenage !

Billy Hopkinson said...

(greetings from my NHS teabreak!)
Oh it isn't restraint, and I'm not trying to be big or clever ( although technicaly I am both!) (joke) , and as I said, I don't frown on others swearing, just for some people, the F word is used as as a form of punctuation, and s o lose any meaning at all.

Anonymous said...

You are a sick man. When I was alive if you didn't swear in every sentence, whilst continually smoking , you were considered effiminate!!