Friday 24 October 2008

“I don't feel old. I don't feel anything till noon. That's when it's time for my nap.”
- Bob Hope

"The drone of flying engines
Is a song so wild and blue
It scrambles time and seasons if it gets thru to you"

It's all about age!
I finished my night shift this morning (until Monday at least). This past week all I could think of was Friday morning and going home. Sadly, like many things, the anticipation is often better than the actual event. Coming home, surprisingly limp free, the world was my oyster (at least in theory), but after I slumped down in front of the computer, my plans sprouted not only wings, but rocket engines, and flew off, never to return. I had a strange all over body nausea, not quite pain, not even an ache, just a drained empty tiredness, and mental bewilderment (so no change there, I suspect you may be saying).
Later I somehow found myself at my Mothers house, where I promptly dozed off until school pick up time, hardly the day of limitless possibilities I'd imagined then.

My daughters best friends dad, died today, she knew him pretty well. Consequently she's suddenly begun to see me as temporary, which is both tragic and , weirdly, a little touching.

As I type, I'm scoffing Mike and Ikes, which have suddenly appeared in shops here. These of course remind me of the huge bag of Halloween sweets I brought back from Vancouver last year (a year already? Incredible).






"When I'm in Canada, I feel this is what the world should be like" - Jane Fonda

No comments: